Wednesday, May 9, 2012

{may.9.}

May 9.

It is every little girl's dream to grow up and get married one day. It is just as much my dream today at 24 that it was the first time I ever laid eyes on the pearls and lace and beading of my mom's wedding dress and veil. I have made just as many plans as the next girl. But what if I never got married? What if I could glorify God more in my singleness than in marriage? What if my life would be more pleasing to God, what if I would increase His kingdom more as one than two? Honestly the very thought of that scares the pants off me! Just thinking about the possibility of a life without "marital bliss" makes me feel like I'm deserting a life-long dream; I feel the need to mourn something I've never even known. I've watched friends of mine go off and get married and I've been able to rejoice with them because I've been confident that "my time will come." But why is my heart so set on an earthly husband? Why am I not completely satisfied in my heavenly groom? He has already promised me more than any man on earth will ever be able to give me. Now please don't hear me saying I'm giving up and moving on to pursue life in a convent, but it is something to wonder about. Why do I put so much value in a ring on my finger? How much do I see my worth wrapped up in my ability {or inability} to have children? Don't I know that I am already betrothed?

"I will betroth you to me forever; 
I will betroth you in righteousness and justice, 
in love and compassion. 
I will betroth you in faithfulness, 
and you will acknowledge the Lord."
Hosea 2:19-20

"The king is enthralled by your beauty; 
honor him, for he is your Lord."
Psalm 45:11


So then what does marriage really mean? Why do we get married? Is it a selfish ambition? Is it for our own pleasures or could there be more to it? My sweet friend Ginny posted this video yesterday and it left me speechless. Please watch it, and please leave a comment with your impression. To be honest, I went through a few different emotions before landing on feeling inspired. 

{This Momentary Marriage.}


I think that is what marriage is really about. Living out {to the best of our ability} on earth that which God has already promised us from heaven. Being a life-sized example of the covenant that God invites us into; showing the world a picture of the relationship he gave his Son for. 

When all around my soul gives way,
He then is all my hope and stay.

I love the last line of text in the video: 
God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him.

"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart."
Psalm 37:4

I do believe that God knows the desires of my heart and my prayers will not go unheard. But he knows my desires better than I do {he did give them to me, after all} and I want to be satisfied in Him first. Satisfied in his love, in his provision, in his protection, and in his sacrifice. It is enough. Regardless of the twists and turns my own life may take, I will stand firm and still and I will let God fight for me. He is enough.

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still."
Exodus 14:14

Dearly Loved,
B

{P.S. No pictures today, but I'm okay with it. I'm pretty sure that video speaks louder than any photograph I take ever could.}

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing, B. I really appreciate your words of encouragement. :)

    ReplyDelete