Wednesday, May 16, 2012

{may.16.}

May 16. 

Sunday was Mother's Day. But sadly the 107 miles between us meant I didn't get to celebrate with my mama. {The disadvantages to living two hours from home.} So, even though the holiday has passed, I thought I'd give everyone a {quite accurate} little glimpse into our relationship:

{What do you think... am I my mother's child??}

When I was in middle and high school I was a punk. I'm sure my mom wondered daily where she had gone wrong. But let's just say I was a late bloomer and it took me a little while to figure out who I was and just how good I really had it. 

"Train a child in the way she should go, 
and when she is old she will not turn from it."
Proverbs 22:6

Now that I'm "old," I see what a gift my mom is. I see and understand that who I am today has so much to do with who she is. She is the reason I understand forgiveness {because she always forgave me}. She is the reason I spend my money wisely {and the reason I have a passion for thrifting}. She gave me my love of letter-writing {I still have so many of the sweet notes she left me over the years}. She is one source of the creativity I hold so dear to my heart. She shows me consistently what it looks like to step out in boldness, to speak my mind confidently {thanks for that one, mama}- and when I do those things with gentleness and grace I know it is because of her example. 

"Your beauty... should be that of your inner self, 
the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."
1 Peter 3:3a, 4

Mom, that describes you in a nutshell {well, I'm not so sure about the "quiet" part}. 
You did a good job. A very good job. Thank you. 

Love, 
B


1 comment:

  1. You called yourself a punk. And I just LOLed. A lot. HAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete