Sunday, November 21, 2010

the love that let us share our name

When I graduated college, it didn't hit me right away that I wouldn't have weeks at home for Thanksgiving and months off for Christmas anymore. But now I am finding myself tired and worn out and ready for a much needed break. The past few months have flown by- and I've kept so busy that I only become aware now and then that I haven't seen my family in a while. (We haven't all been together since August! Wow!) Because Thanksgiving falls on a Thursday, it has worked out that I get to go "home" to Roanoke Wednesday night and then enjoy four beautiful days away from the Chick catching up with these two-


Aren't they stunning?

It has (sadly) taken me years and years to appreciate the beautiful gifts I've been given in these two. But this Thanksgiving I am so excited to get to hang out with them. I get to hear about Sophie's most recent major change at Longwood and her latest heartbreak; I get to hear about Rachel's college choices and college applications and hear her rumble up the driveway in her (very loud) truck.

The three of us are completely different and no one would have ever referred to us as "three peas in a pod," but we were given to each other for a reason and I feel blessed and encouraged by our unique personalities.

For those of you who haven't gotten the privilege of meeting them, I'll share a bit about my little sisters-

Sophie: 19 years old, a sophomore at Longwood University-
Sophie is emotional and she feels much and loves hard. I have learned over the years that Sophie is incredibly loyal. She has had the same group of friends since middle school (something that I am regularly jealous of), but she still has a personality that is warm and welcoming and continues to invite new people to join her life. Sophie decided to be an RA this year at Longwood and I think it has been both a blessing and challenge. She gets to play the role of friend and comforter for so many freshmen getting acclimated to college living, but she is also given the task of disciplinarian, which is never fun. My continued hope for this sweet, sweet girl is that she would lean not on herself, but on everything that she knows about the one who made her and that that knowledge would grow every day.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."
Proverbs 3:5-6

Rachel: 17 years old, a senior in high school,
5'4'' and the tallest gal in our family despite being the "baby"-
Rachel certainly marches to her own beat. You know how people can tell a funny occurrence and it's often one of those "you had to be there" scenarios? That never happens with Rachel. When my mom retells the most recent 'Rachel-ism' or shares her latest foolishness I crack up. Every time. Rachel is a character and one of the funniest kids I've met. She has such a unique style and it is a rarity to see her influenced by what everyone else is doing. Next year she is going off to college and I can't believe it! When did she grow up? Once she's on her own, who will she choose to be? And more importantly: whose? It is my prayer that this precious, one of a kind young lady will fall madly, passionately in love with the one who created her. And that in that love she will find who she was designed to be and rest in the knowledge that she is loved beyond measure.

"And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,
may have power, together with all the saints,
to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
and to know this love that surpasses knowledge-
that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God."
Ephesians 3:17-19

It is incredibly hard to sum up all that a person is in a single paragraph. And my words don't do them justice- but I am delighted at the idea of knowing these two as adults. I've had friends come and go from my life, but my sisters are my sisters for life and I can't wait to share what is to come with them.


(Us in Winston-Salem last year for Thanksgiving)

"Always remember, there was nothing worth sharing
like the love that let us share our name"
-'Murder in the City,' The Avett Brothers

Love,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment