Saturday, November 20, 2010

True or False?

"Good things come to those who wait."

Maybe this familiar phrase is true... and maybe it is only a half truth.
I am becoming so aware of the truth that our God is a God who not only asks us to wait on him, but invites us-
no begs us- to seek him.

"Look to the Lord and his strength;
seek his face always."
1 Chronicles 16:11

"My heart says of you, 'Seek his face!'
Your face, Lord, I will seek."
Psalm 27:8

"But if from there you seek the Lord your God,
you will find him if you look for him with all your heart and with all your soul."
Deuteronomy 4:29

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find;
knock and the door will be opened to you."
Matthew 7:7

It comes up so often in scripture that it must be heavy on God's heart for his people to seek him and the relationship we were created to have with him. It has been so easy lately for me to appreciate and enjoy what God has placed right in front of me- but I am realizing that with his beauty so obvious all around me, it is also very easy for me to forget to actively seek him out. God is not running from us, so to talk about pursuing him can seem a little strange- but in a relationship don't we all want to be pursued? And we are called to be in a real relationship with Jesus, so naturally he would want us to pursue him the way he pursues and chases after us. How much are we missing out on by failing to search out what more God has for us? We are lazy and we want things to be handed to us- so we get comfortable with the idea of "good things" coming to those who "wait." I find myself thinking, "if it is what God wants for my life, it will fall into my lap" or "this is what is in front of me now, so it must be the best that there is." Lies! The truth is that I am settling (so often because I'm scared) and he wants so much more for me.

Look at the beauty we found when we went searching-



That is not a view that will just fall into your lap!
(More from that adventure later!)

"You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."
Jeremiah 29:13

I want to seek... and find,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment