Sunday, January 9, 2011

Make yourself at home

I have officially lived in my apartment for 5 months. I have paid rent 5 times. It is official, I am nearly 1/2 way through my one year lease! I have no idea what my life will look like next August, but for now I am calling this little place home and doing my best to make it feel that way. I am finding myself to be an relentless nester, and I am pretty darn proud of these six little rooms and two porches.


It is one of my greatest desires to be able to invite people in and even show it off a little. For some reason, having company fulfills something deep inside of me- and so I share with you one of the highlights of this past week (this is going to make a certain one of you chuckle- you'll know who you are!).


This week was one of the very few times my spare bedroom has been slept in (a.k.a.... the third). I was so excited to have company! And as silly as this sounds, because it happens so rarely, I was even a little nervous. So many thoughts were running through my head: "Is my apartment clean enough?" "Is my apartment even cool? Or has it just been my pride talking all this time?" "Is it too cold in here?" And on and on. But alas, the night was pretty ordinary, but having that 'talk until you must go to sleep in order to function the next day' feeling that I haven't had since college when I had roommates was fun!


However, the best part came a few days later- I was stowing a dirty dish in my sink (because I was too lazy to wash it right away) when I saw a green bowl that I knew I hadn't used. Because I live alone and don't have guests too frequently (yet), I pretty much rotate the same 5 cups and 5 bowls- and the one that I saw in the sink wasn't one of those 5. Later I found an empty grape juice container (that I had not finished) in the trash can. I had offered the little that I had and my sweet house guest had taken me up on it and made herself at home!! I was genuinely thrilled! Perspective is a funny thing... in college, if someone had eaten my food, or worse yet, finished it off, I would have gotten irritated. Now, I see it as a huge blessing- to have friends that take me up on the few things I have to offer, like a place to sleep, a shower to use, and breakfast in the morning. I don't have much, but I know that I have been incredibly blessed and it blesses me even more to be able to share what I do have. God calls me to it and I feel that in my bones.


"Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality."

Romans 12:13


"Do not forget to entertain strangers,

for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."

Hebrews 13:2


"All the believers were one in heart and mind.

No one claimed that any of his possessions were his own,

but they shared everything they had."

Acts 4:32


I experienced this absolute gift from so many sweet families here in Waynesboro throughout my college years and now it is my turn to practice that same hospitality. So, take me up on it! Please! Come and stay- for a night... or a month! What is mine is yours.


Yours truly,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment