Wednesday, January 5, 2011

I call you friends (Part 3)

After a brief interruption in the introductions... meet Stephanie, a.k.a Nie Nie.


Stephanie Nielson is, in a single word, incredible. Stephanie is a young wife and mom to four from Utah. In August 2008 Stephanie's life was forever changed by a plain crash involving Stephanie, her husband, Christian, and their flight instructor (who died in the crash). The crash burned 80% of her body and her outward appearance was forever altered along with her life (she will continue to have surgeries for the rest of her life).



(Stephanie before the accident; Stephanie and Mr. Nielson after the accident)

What is so, so sweet about blogs, though, is that you only see a person's heart. Yes, there are pictures (and Stephanie is beautifully bold in including photographs of herself for the world to see), but when I read about Stephanie's day-to-day life and her heart, I am blown away by what God can do in the midst of tragedy.


"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment,

such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes.

Instead, it should be that of your inner self,

the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight."

1 Peter 3:3-4


Stephanie is a Mormon, (like Lauren- Busy Bee Lauren), but I have to believe that she has a very real relationship with God- because only that relationship could possibly allow her to be the woman, the wife, the sister, the mom, the friend that she is today (2 1/2 years after her accident).


"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.

Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings,

because we know that suffering produces perseverance;

perseverance, character; and character, hope.

And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts

by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

Romans 5:2b-4


"Blessed is the [wo]man who perseveres under trial,

because when [s]he has stood the test,

[s]he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him."

James 1:12


Stephanie has an awesome sense of perspective and humor (about her situation incredibly) and she has precious and unique kids: Claire, Jane, Oliver (Ollie), and Nicholas (Gigs).




I am also a big fan of Nie's style- in her home and wardrobe. She has perfected the eclectic style I strive for and if you start reading her blog, you will quickly notice that we share a love for headbands (especially those with large, colorful flowers). If one day my living room looked like this on Christmas Eve while sugarplums danced in my little ones' heads, my life would be complete (ok, that was a bit of an exaggeration... but you get my drift).



Mind blowing, right?? I mean look at that tree!! And balloons?! Wouldn't you want to be Claire, Jane, Ollie, or Gigs on Christmas morning?? Yeah, I know, me too! (:


I am learning big things from Stephanie Nielson- in a lot of ways, she exemplifies the woman, the wife, and the mom that I hope to be one day. So, I invite you to join me in following Nie's beautifully ordinary, and yet uniquely extraordinary life!

Nie Nie Dialogues


Love,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment