Tuesday, February 22, 2011

i choose life.

A few weeks ago at Prayer Overnight Justin Ryder (the area director from Chesapeake) got up and said a few sweet words about his wife Libby. Libby is 27 years old and was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 7 months ago. I have never met Libby, but I knew of her and I knew she was battling cancer because of a few emails I'd received. I also knew that Libby had a blog but for some reason I hadn't been following it (I know, weird). Well after that weekend I couldn't stay away! Libby is incredible- no, no Jesus is incredible and he is inside and flowing out of Libby with every breath she takes and every word she types. Here are a few of the words I have read on her blog so far that hit me extra hard (I am still not caught up and refuse to skip even a day):


the nurse today said, "wow i bet its been a nightmare for you guys since you found out three weeks ago..." i did not respond, but i immediately thought, nope not a nightmare. never occurred to me to think of it like that. not because i am strong or anything, because this sucks. cancer is not very fun at all and i hate it. but i do not hate it because i think its unfair or why me...but mostly because i would prefer not to have cancer. but i trust jesus more than i ever have in my life and i can already see how he is using this in such huge ways and i love it. he is real and he is good. all the time.


I see echos of Philippians 1 in your messages, "I want you to know brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the Gospel...". -Justin to Libby


many people choose despair. but i choose life. and life to the full. even now.


Beautiful words. Powerful words. Incredible truths.


"Therefore we do not lose heart.

Though outwardly we are wasting away,

yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day.

2 Corinthians 4:16


This thing is seriously changing my perspective and kind of kicking my butt (in such a good way). So, please, please read it for yourself! Don't waste your cancer (I love it so much when people read my words- but it is almost more fun to encourage people to read the words of other people that have rocked my world.)


Then, this weekend all of the leaders in our region got together again (the number neared 1000), in Richmond this time, to worship, learn, be encouraged, and just spend time together. When I saw Libby I knew it was only a matter of time before she got up front to share her story with us in person... and I couldn't wait! Sure enough, on night one, Scott called her and Justin to the podium to speak and some of her first words were said in triumph: "We heard from the doctor today that I AM CANCER FREE." Hallelujah! She received a standing ovation- applause for her lasted longer than anyone else's that weekend (even longer than the keynote speaker). She cried through most of her time on stage but they were beautiful tears- tears of joy and passion, of relief and gratitude. Her life has been changed forever. Jesus met her in such a sweet, intimate way and she will never be the same.

I want that, I desire that, I crave that.


"but those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.

They will soar high on wings like eagles.

They will run and not grow weary.

They will walk and not faint."

Isaiah 40:31


Meet me where I am and renew me, Lord.


Amen and amen.

B

No comments:

Post a Comment