Saturday, October 23, 2010

Seek First

I've been discontent and regretful pretty often lately. I regret doing things; I regret not doing other things. I feel like I watch my days slip by so quickly and I find myself worrying that I will come to a point in my life when I look back and wonder 'what do I have to show for the life that I lived?'


I want a lot of stuff.


I want companionship and adventure and purpose and JOY! And I wholeheartedly believe that God wants me to have these things too. So... why don't I? I think God whispered his answer to me tonight.


"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness

and all these things will be given to you as well."

Matthew 6:33


I am seeking companionship.

I am seeking adventure.

I am seeking purpose.

I am seeking joy.


I am seeking so many good things,

but I was not designed to find life on my own-

so I wont-


"I have come that they may have life,

and have it to the full."

John 10:10b


I am called to seek Christ first so that he can give me life and all of these other beautiful gifts the way he planned before the beginning of time.


"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all-

how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things?"

Romans 8:32


My life does have purpose! And that truth brings me great joy!! But that purpose isn't to do a bunch of stuff-


"He has showed you, O man, what is good.

And what does the Lord require of you?

To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God."

Micah 6:8


My purpose is just to LIVE and to bring glory to my God in the way I do it- and my heart's desire is to experience life the way he intended.


"Delight yourself in the Lord

and he will give you the desires of your heart."

Psalm 37:4


That is what I want- and I am confident that if I am delighting myself in sweet time and relationship with the Lord, he will graciously give me those other things that my heart desires in his precious, perfect timing.


Amen.

B


PS... After writing this post, I watched 'My Sister's Keeper'- here is a shameless plug- watch it! Although it was inaccurate to the book, it was beautiful... and inspiring!

Don't hold back! Live big. And love hard.

That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment