Sunday, October 24, 2010

Overlook ahead

Today I was feeling restless and I was unhappy with the idea of wasting yet another beautiful day inside, so I decided to do something I've been longing to do for weeks now- go for a long drive on the parkway. I have been sitting on my porch a lot lately, watching the leaves change on the mountain, and something in me just needed to be in the midst of the fall. I love that the speed limit on the parkway is fairly low, because it forces you to take it slow and enjoy the glimpses you get of the breathtaking view. I pulled off at one of the overlooks, got out of my car, and just sat by myself on the grass. It was neat to sit still and silent while the world went on around me. I was surprised by how many people came and went while I sat there- I am grateful that I was raised by parents who liked to take their time at places like this. I only brought my journal and the book 'Crazy Love' to my spot on the grass. It was no coincidence that Francis Chan was talking about heaven as I sat there in the sunshine taking in a tiny piece of creation.


"You are worthy, our Lord and God,

to receive glory and honor and power,

for you created all things

and by your will they were created and have their being."

Revelation 4:11


I felt like those were the very words my heart was singing to the Lord as I sat and marveled at his beautiful and majestic landscape. And how wonderful is it to know that I am a part of all that he created! And not only part- but the best part!


"For in him we live and move and have our being."

Acts 17:28a


I was sort of bummed that I didn't have a camera to document the changing leaves, but as I took it all in and even as I drove home afterwards, I realized that today was just for me- moments made just so that the Lord could meet me in the place that I am in today. But I don't think today was my last drive on the parkway, I think it was just the beginning of what will be a very sweet part of my time living in Waynesboro, VA. So, if you are interested in coming along on my next excursion up the mountain, let me know! As a matter of fact, I even saw a sign that said "Roanoke 115 mi." Maybe one day I'll take the long way to visit my family. And company is more than welcome! (:


Lovingly,

B

No comments:

Post a Comment