Friday, May 13, 2011

It doesn't take much.

The more I learn about myself, the more aware I become of the fact that it does not take much to thrill me. It doesn't take a lot to make me happy and there is no telling what I might stumble on that does the trick- that's usually how it happens: I happen upon something that surprises and wows me and makes me thankful to be exactly where I am in that moment. What a great feeling. One of the very biggest highlights of my Portland trip (and no... we're not talking about the fact that it was two months ago, thank you very much) came near the end of one of the longest nights of my life-

8:30pm: Said my goodbyes to Erica's housemates and headed to the bus stop with my large purple suitcase in tow (avoiding those darn worms the whole way- ew).

Photobucket

9:30ishpm: We hopped on the bus headed for the Portland International Airport (you may be asking yourself: why does Portland have an international airport... answer: who the heck knows?!)

10:35pm: We FINALLY got to the airport (the last time I checked, my plane was supposed to leave at 11pm so I was getting a little nervous by that point)

10:40pm: Said my goodbyes- bittersweet. I love those girls dearly, but I had been away from home for 8 days at this point and was definitely ready to sleep in my own bed!

10:45pm: Stood in line, nervously watching the clock as I wondered what the heck you do when you actually miss a flight.

10:50pm: Found out that my flight was delayed an hour and I was officially going to miss my lay over in Detroit and not make it to Richmond by 11am like I was scheduled to. I spent the next 10 minutes frantically calling my parents (at 2am on the east coast) to ask them to pick me up at the Roanoke airport. Thankfully after about three tries, my mom finally answered the phone and agreed to pick me up. I got my new ticket and headed for security.

11:00pm: I made it through security in no time only to sit for an hour waiting for my plane (which I found out later was delayed by a "late crew member." WHAT?! Seriously??) By this point I am so done and what started as an exciting adventure in Atlanta now just feels like one long, drawn out fiasco after another.

12:05am: I boarded my plane.

12:10am: I started frantically praying as my night went from bad to worse and my flight was by far the most turbulent that I have ever experienced. The man next to me was so scared that I was worried he was going to cry- so I felt obligated to keep myself composed as my focus moved from breathing to praying, "God, don't let it hurt when we crash and I die." No joke, I was convinced I was never going to see land again. I don't know if it was because it was a red eye or what, but our pilot did not know what the heck he was doing- that plane did not stop jerking and twisting and dropping the entire 4 hours from Portland to Detroit. But in spite of my fear, I was so exhausted that I finally just curled up in my seat and fell asleep.

7:15am: We landed in Detroit. Alive.

7:30am: I decided I deserved a reward, so I visited Starbucks in the airport and began making my way to my next gate.

8:00am: My morning started looking up when I stumbled upon this--


Awesome.

The absolute highlight of my trip home. I had heard about this tunnel that connects the terminals in the Detroit airport, but in all the craziness I had forgotten all about it until I found myself standing in it. I was thrilled! Immediately my mood was lifted and the feeling of adventure was back.

9:00am: I couldn't help it, I had to walk through the tunnel one more time, so I picked up my stuff and retraced my steps for one last glimpse. (Okay, technically I went through it two more times.)

9:30am: I boarded the plane for the final leg of my trip. The plane headed for home. This was a much smoother flight (and much quicker).

Photobucket Photobucket

Before I knew it, I was flying over some very familiar mountains into the Roanoke valley.

11:30am: I got off the plane, made my way out of the terminal (all 8 gates of it) and found my dad waiting for me on the other side of security. Finally. Even at 22, after a night like that, it was an enormous relief to see him standing there and to know that I could sit back and let him take the reins for a while.

"So I commend the enjoyment of life,
because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad.
Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 8:15

"...I have come that they may have life,
and have it to the full."
John 10:10

Life is full of thrills- some are right in front of us and obvious while others are hiding just around the corner (or in an airport tunnel). But God has good in store for us. So, so much good!

"But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness,
and all these things will be given to you as well."
Matthew 6:33

It makes me think of the song from Mary Poppins (I know, sometimes the most random things pop into my head!)--
"Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!
Let's go fly a kite and send it soaring
Up through the atmosphere
Up where the air is clear
Oh, let's go fly a kite!"

We've been given this incredible adventure to live! Let's not settle for anything less than the "highest height"! Because it has been graciously given to us.

"He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--
how will he not also, along with him graciously give us all things?"
Romans 8:32

And for me, that included a tunnel full of light!
Amen!
B

No comments:

Post a Comment