Tuesday, March 22, 2011

All in a day's work (2)

3:00pm: After a nice, long (much needed) nap on my part, the four of us headed out to explore the town- mostly the rivers and bridges of Portland.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

6:00pm (-ish): We hopped on a bus and headed for the Mt. Tabor neighborhood. Mt. Tabor is an extinct volcano with a fantastic view of the city. Once we got off the bus, Erica admitted that we had actually gotten on the wrong bus and she wasn't completely sure where we were. Oh. Great. But to her credit, she soon got her bearings and we headed for the mountain. When we got to the base Erica announced that if we hurried we could catch the sunset from the top. Um... I had just walked about 30 miles -ok, ok, slight exaggeration- but I was not up for a little jog up the side of a mountain. So while I took off as quickly as my tired little legs could carry me and Caroline hung back with me, Kara and Erica soon disappeared from sight. Oh, yeah, then the rain storm started.
7:30pm: We reached the top of Mt. Tabor (finally catching back up with our other two).

Photobucket

7:33pm: We started our descent (no, but seriously, we stayed at the top for about 3 minutes).
8:15pm: We arrived at the Hawthorne Hophouse.
Erica nannies for a sweet family who owns several restaurants and offered to feed us whatever we wanted for dinner... for free! Incredible. After such a long day and so much walking, it felt wonderful to sit down, order whatever we pleased, spend sweet quality time together, and then have someone else pick up the tab.

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Photobucket

The Hophouse was named appropriately for its wide selection of local beers, but as hard as I try (and I did try each of my roommates' selections) I just haven't found an appreciation for beer yet.

10:00pm: We tipped our waitress double and headed for the bus to take us home.
11:30pm: Our weary little bodies found our beds and we crashed hard.
And with that, day one came to a close. What a beautiful day.

"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full."
John 10:10

"So I commend the enjoyment of life,
because nothing is better for a man under the sun
than to eat and drink and be glad.
Then joy will accompany him in his work
all the days of the life God has given him under the sun."

Ecclesiastes 8:15
(Erica actually wrote that verse in the front a journal she brought me from Italy my junior year of college and it has become one of my favorites.)

To be continued,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment