Friday, December 10, 2010

Eli

Almost three weeks ago, on Monday, November 22, tragedy struck on a hiking trail not far from where I live. An incredibly vibrant 21-year-old guy named Eli fell to his death while trying to capture a photograph of God's beauty that he was not only surrounded by, but was also achingly aware of.
I had the pleasure of meeting, and spending about 24 hours with, this strong and faithful man of God my junior year of college when I went camping with my roommates (Ginny, Erica, Kara, Marissa, and Caroline), Robert (Ginny's boyfriend), and two of Robert's friends (Corbin and Eli) in the George Washington National Forest.

We drove multiple vehicles up the mountain, into the woods, and once the going became too treacherous for the smaller cars, we piled ourselves and our stuff in the back of a truck and rode the rest of the way to our site (a.k.a. a random clearing that caught our attention off the side of the road).



We unpacked and split up to hike, gather wood, and set up the two tiny tents we'd brought along. I remember the trip being filled with laughter and fellowship and absolute joy as the nine of us grew closer or got to know each other for the first time.


The boys had taken on the task of preparing dinner and they did a wonderful job- making hamburgers from scratch and "grilling" them over the fire (as can be expected- it was a bit of a fiasco).



After dinner I remember, as was typical of our group, we wanted adventure. Eli had grown up in this area, and was by far the most familiar with it- so he offered to drive us up to Reddish Knob. Reddish Knob is a popular spot for Harrisonburg natives and JMU students- it overlooks the beautiful Shenandoah valley. We took Eli's truck up the mountain and somehow I ended up in the cab with Corbin and Eli while the others piled in the bed. I remember jamming out to music (playing it loud enough for our friends to enjoy) while we climbed the narrow, steep trail- the three of us taking turns as DJ.
That night when we got back to camp, sleeping arrangements were quite comical. Three of my roommates (Caroline, Marissa, Ginny) and I piled in a tent that was probably made for two; Kara and Erica slept in just their sleeping bags beside the fire (typical); somehow Corbin ended up in a single tent alone- although he didn't quite fit; and Robert and Eli slept in the bed of Eli's truck. What a fun, ragtag group we were!


(Corbin spilling out of his tiny tent;
Kara and Erica the morning after- it is rare to see an image so funny and yet so disturbing.)

One of my favorite memories from the whole experience happened once we got back from Reddish Knob. We were getting ready to crash for the night and since two of my roomies were sleeping fire side, and we didn't want them to freeze if the fire went out during the night- we needed to gather more firewood. We started hearing strange noises off in the woods and the exchange that followed went something like this:
"Uhh.. where is that sound coming from?"
"Oh, it's just Eli."
"Um.. where is he?"
"Oh you can't see him. He's over there... in the forest... chopping more wood for the fire... with his hatchet."


Oh, the laughter and fun this boy's presence ensured! (:

"So I commend the enjoyment of life,
because nothing is better for a man under the sun than to eat and drink and be glad.
Then joy will accompany him in his work all the days of the life God has given him under the sun."
Ecclesiastes 8:15

And he did enjoy life. I only knew him briefly- but I am convinced of it. Eli lived every part of his life to glorify the Lord that he believed in and had an intimate relationship with.
The days after he died, I had a hard time getting him off my mind and out of my heart- but the sweet part was that it wasn't sadness that placed him there, but hope. I found myself on his facebook page one day and saw something that he had posted about a month before he died, and it stopped me in my tracks-



Incredible.
Eli was so in love with his savior that his entire being wanted to be where he belonged- in the arms of his Lord. Do I live the same way? Eli's zeal for the Lord and love of the life he had been given gives me hope in my own life. God has blessed me with this breath, but he hasn't promised me any more. So what am I going to do today? This isn't our eternal home, but I believe God has placed us here for a reason: to do his will and make our earth more as it was intended to be and more as it is in heaven. And Eli absolutely did that... everyday.

"...your kingdom come,
your will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
Matthew 6:10

One day our faithful Lord will welcome us, also, to the place that we belong.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy,
the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."
-C.S. Lewis

Until then, we can live a little more like Eli and when that time comes, we can leave a legacy like the one he left- a beautiful legacy that shouts of the one we live for and not ourselves.

Oh! And don't wait.

Blessings,
B

1 comment:

  1. As always, this is utmostly encouraging, Bethany. Eli's posting moves me so deeply. Our citizenship is indeed in heaven!! How absolutely beautiful that the Lord had given him such a deep and true gift of faith with which to be captivated by the truth of this. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete