Wednesday, December 29, 2010

I call you friends

Lately I have found it entertaining and relaxing to sit curled up on the couch, reading up on the exciting (and not so exciting) lives of the women whose blogs I follow (and this is how much of my trip to Roanoke for Christmas was spent). I know how that sounds. Really I do! But I think I am beginning to understand this hobby and why I feel so drawn to it. I am lonely. I don't say this to elicit pity... nope, it's just my reality right now. I am living in a new town (I've only been here permanently for about 6 months), and adjusting is an ongoing task. When I hear people talk about "the 5 love languages," I am convinced that I feel love in almost every one of those ways! Bear with me as I explain...

Physical touch- yep... I love hugs, holding hands, snuggling. I am so prone to loving and wanting to be loved in this way, that if you ever share a bed with me, you should know that I've even been known to cuddle in my sleep. Sorry... I can't help it and I can't be held responsible for it!

Words of affirmation- probably shows up a little lower on the list, but I tend to light up inside when people speak words of affirmation and encouragement about me or to me. i.e.: The other day I was talking to my boss, Jay, and while I was talking he interrupted me to say, "How long have you been doing this? Marketing, I mean?" I told him about 6 months and he said, "Wow, well you've gotten really good at it." He'll never know it (mostly because I have NO idea how to gracefully accept a compliment- I stumble through a quick "thanks" and hurry on), but those few words made me feel purposeful in a way that I hadn't before his comment and they will get me through the next few weeks at work.

Acts of service- again, probably lower on my list, but who doesn't crave someone helping them clean their dirty apartment? (that may or may not have been a hint...)

Receiving gifts- this one is pretty high on my list- but not because I am greedy... not at all. When I was in Colorado on Summer Staff a few summers ago, my best friend wrote me a letter every single day... then the next summer when she was on Summer Staff, she still wrote me several letters a week! Letters and notes and thoughtful messages brighten my day... my week even. Once I got the sweetest message in my facebook "inbox" from a friend at work- she lifted me up and encouraged me in ways that I definitely don't feel I deserved, giving me confidence in the way I do my job and making me feel so, so loved (you know who you are) (: One of my darling high school girls often sends me little notes or bits of her incredible artwork because she remembers me telling her once upon a time that I felt loved by that.

And finally... Quality time. This one is huge for me. I crave people spending time with me- because ultimately that tells me that someone felt I was worth them taking their precious time and giving it to me. I want to share my life with people and I want them to share theirs with me. I would rather have a few close friends than a ton of friendly acquaintances who don't really know me. This has ultimately been my downfall as I have probably lost a lot of opportunities because I was too reluctant and gave up too easily.

So now I am in this new town, starting from square one on the friend search. For some reason (and yes I get ragged for it on a regular basis) I have found it very entertaining and somewhat comforting, in the meantime, to read about girls like me or women who may have once been like me. These women form a community all across the country that wants to encourage one another, invest in one another, and build each other up. I am happy to say I am a part of that. For the most part they consistently update their blogs and so I am, in a strange way, comforted by their consistent presence in my life. This is so cheesy, and I know that so don't judge me too hard... but I call them my friends!

"I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business.
Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you."
John 15:15

I mean, hey, if Jesus calls me 'friend,' why can't I call these ladies my friends? Huh?? (:

Anyways... enough of this mumbo jumbo... because I spend significant time every day keeping up with these virtual friends, I thought I'd introduce you all over the next few days...

First there is Stephanie-
Stephanie's was the first blog I ever read- I stumbled across her blog last Christmas when I was searching for a particular bible verse (about the Lord purifying us as gold being tested in fire) and google brought us together. If you check out her blog (which I highly recommend), you may see some similarities to my own... don't judge- I just admire her a lot! (: Sometimes in regular conversation I mention 'Steph' and I automatically get "the look" and an eye roll from anyone who knows who I'm referring to... but honestly I look up to her and because of the transparency in her writing, I feel like I truly know her.
Stephanie is mom to 3 precious little boys and a sweet baby girl. She is an incredible woman of God and her words have been such an encouragement to me. (Although we have never officially met, one day I saw her mention Young Life on her facebook wall and I had to introduce myself- she responded, so in my defense she does know I exist!) Stephanie loves her husband and children in a way that is inspiring and flows directly out of her relationship with the Lord. Stephanie didn't start meet Jesus until she was 20, so she has story after encouraging story about her journey (specifically waiting patiently for the one God made for you and staying faithful throughout the wait). Because she is a mom to four little ones, Stephanie doesn't have as much time to write as some of the other blogs I follow, but when she does it always brightens my day and speaks truth straight to my heart (a lot of times convicting me big time along the way). Stephanie knows crazy amounts of scripture (and teaches her boys to memorize scripture as she home-schools them) and that has been the coolest part of her blog for me.

"How can I repay the Lord for all his goodness to me?
I will lift up the cup of salvation and call on the name of the Lord."
Psalm 116:12,13

I don't admire Stephanie because she has a cool looking blog or because she updates all the time or has a ton of followers, I admire this woman because she loves Jesus with her whole heart and it spills out of every word written and picture placed on her page. Seriously, take a minute to bookmark her blog so you can check it out on a rainy day or just a day you have some time and find yourself curious. She has definitely taught me a ton and blessed my life.

"My mouth will tell of your righteousness,
of your salvation all day long,
though I know not its measure."
Psalm 71:15

If you actually made it through all of that, you deserve a prize!! Thank you for bearing with my nonsense... and thank you even more for not pointing and laughing next time you see me!

Until next time, happy reading! (:
B

No comments:

Post a Comment